The Health curriculum is designed to educate students in Grades 5 through 12 about a broad range of issues that are age appropriate and pertinent to their current health interests and needs. Information presented and discussed enables students to make informed decisions relative to their health, lifestyle, and ultimately to the quality of their life. A holistic approach to health, viewing the influences and substantial relationships among the physical, mental, and social components of health and their impact on the student’s overall level of well-being, is a primary focus.
The Middle School program is part of a comprehensive, sequential health curriculum that continues through the Upper School. Topics are presented at intervals to accommodate a timely introduction to the material and an opportunity for subsequent review of the subject matter in future years. This format enables teachers to present a topic during the Middle School years in a manner that students appreciate, relate to, and understand, with the knowledge that the same major areas will be reviewed and studied in greater depth and detail in later years as part of the Health curricular format.
Specific topics at the various grade levels include the following:
- Grade 5: Hygiene, body systems, puberty
- Grade 6: Drugs, tobacco, alcohol use/ misuse
- Grade 7: Relationships, reproductive system, sex education
- Grade 8: Nutrition, diseases
SAGE Dining Services
MFS Dining Services partner SAGE serves fresh, delicious, from-scratch food. Sage chefs design menus specifically for the MFS community.
Chefs get to know food preferences and provide meals to please a variety of palates and meet a variety of dietary needs.
Exciting options include:
- Authentic international cuisine.
- Fun, food truck-inspired dishes.
- Vegetarian and vegan options.
- Build-your-own stations and display cooking.
- Special selections for athletes.
The best ingredients are used to prepare selections:
- House-roasted and nitrate-free deli meats.
- Trans-fat free oils and MSG-free seasonings.
- Antibiotic- and hormone free milk.
- No Antibiotics Ever (NAE) chicken.
- Cage-free, Certified Humane® eggs.
- Sustainably sourced seafood (using guidelines from Marine Stewardship Council and Monterey
Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch®).
- House-made dressings.
Nutrition and Wellness
The SAGE Spotlight Program® guides guests to build nutrient-dense plates and develop positive habits. Guests look to the dots to make sure they’re getting balanced, Dietitian-recommended meals.
The Performance Spotlight™ program for athletes, developed by our Registered Dietitians and based on guidelines from the U.S. Olympic Committee, NCAA, and other sports associations, provides necessary nutrients and education for each performance phase ꟷ training, performance, and recovery. Your school’s teams can also enjoy our house-made sports drinks and bars.
Food Allergy Management
One in 12 students we serve has at least one diagnosed food allergy. SAGE’s approach to food allergies values both safety and inclusivity. Every ingredient, recipe, and menu is reviewed and tagged with the top 12 allergens. You and your student can use the online allergen filter and ingredient lists to plan ahead. Our Team Members follow strict food allergy protocols. You’re always welcome to visit the kitchen and ask about inventory and preparation methods.
Great food and sustainable practices go hand in hand. SAGE works to develop innovative solutions that have a positive impact on people and the planet, including sourcing from local farmers to increase the freshness and flavor of your food and reduce our carbon footprint.
SAGE is committed to:
- Sourcing locally
- Partnering with eco-friendly vendors who use sustainable, fair trade practices.
- Purchasing ingredients that are humanely harvested.
- Supporting on-campus gardens
- Cooking in small batches, producing less waste and fewer leftovers.
- Purchasing organic products when possible.
Touch of SAGE™ Mobile App
SAGE’s free app gives you a direct connection to your dining program. You and your student can filter for specific eating profiles (vegetarian and vegan) and rate and comment on menu items to build a fabulous menu. Food-allergic community members can easily find safe meals by creating allergen profiles, and student athletes can find education and nutritional guidance for each performance phase.
Current MFS families may read more about all of these services on myMFS.