Upper School students who elect to participate in music engage in performance, develop creative skill sets through composition, study the history and evolution of music, and begin to master their skills as musicians in AP Music Theory. The instrumental program includes the Upper School Ensemble (for wind, brass, and percussion players), String Ensemble, Guitar Ensemble, and Jazz Ensemble. The choral program includes two performing choirs: MFS Singers and Chamber Choir. The Chamber Choir performs regularly in local and regional A Cappella competitions.
The Choir Showcase combines all seven performing vocal groups at MFS from the Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools in an exciting thematic Choir Showcase concert event each February. All choral and instrumental ensembles perform at two other concerts annually, the Winter and Spring Concerts, in addition to several annual events, workshops, and community outreach trips.
All-School Productions featuring Upper School students include a Fall Musical, a Spring Play, and the student-directed Drama Club play. Upper School electives in drama include Introduction to Acting and Directing, as well as Technical Theater.
Recent Theater Productions:
- Little Shop of Horrors - 2019 Fall Musical
- Almost, Maine - 2019 Winter Play
- The Drowsy Chaperone - 2018 Fall Musical
- An Evening of Christopher Durang - 2018 Winter Play
- The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee - 2017 Fall Musical
- The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) - 2017 Winter Play